A day in the life of…ME!

Posted: July 27, 2015 in Fitness, Food, Motherhood, Wellbeing
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Before I became a mum, I remember wondering what stay-at-home mothers did all day. Now I know. Granted, not all SAHM’s are studying full-time online and working part-time from home, but I thought I’d give you a little glimpse into my life. Buckle your seat belts, here we go…

motherhood is an experiment

7.30am – Harrison wakes up. Therefore Mummy & Daddy wake up too. I know, I know, we are VERY lucky he’s sleeping in this late, but it’s a pretty recent thing. A few weeks ago he was waking up between 6am & 6.30am so I think we’ve earnt 7.30am. There are cuddles in bed and then we start the breakfast routine. I get dressed, put makeup on and eat my breakfast while Rob’s there.

8.15am – Rob leaves for work. The book reading begins. Currently Harrison just wants to read the same book over and over again. I have to tell you I think Spot could really be improved upon in terms of personality. And his manners could do with some work. But I digress…Harrison usually comes and gets his shoes and gives them to me and says “ball” over and over again, indicating that he wants to go outside and play with the ball.

8.30-9am – Mummy makes herself a coffee (thank god for Nespresso!), puts the washing on, washes up, dresses Harrison and feeds him morning tea. The current favourite morning tea is an apple, which he insists on holding and eating like an adult (only with tiny, mouse-like bites taken out of it) or an entire Lebanese cucumber. That’s right, an entire cucumber. This kid is in no danger of wasting away that’s for sure!

9am – We leave the house and drive to Gymbaroo. Gymbaroo is a class for babies, where the teacher does different activities while each parent & child sit there and participate. This week we played with balls, sang songs, lifted a massive parachute up and down over the babies heads, and then the kids had ‘free play’ time where they wander aimlessly around the ‘gym’ which is filled with trampolines, wooden ladders, steps for babies to practice walking or crawling up and tunnels to crawl through. In Harrison’s case, once he had hold of a ball, all he wanted to do was go in the opposite direction of everybody else. All the other babies sat there happily while bubbles were blown at them, marvelling at the pretty colours, etc. Harrison took one look at the bubbles, clearly thought “well this is boring!” and ran off in the other direction shouting “Ball, ball ball” and kicking the ball. I’m beginning to think Gymbaroo is wasted on us.

9.45am – Gymbaroo ends and we head to the shops to do chores – picking up anything we need from the supermarket, going to the pharmacy or bank, etc. Harrison charms everyone he meets by waving at them and giving a big toothy grin. That, or he’s in a bad mood and screams his head off at being confined in the stroller. Either or.

11am – We’re home and out we go to the backyard where Mummy hangs out the washing if it’s a sunny day, and Harrison runs around in his gumboots, playing with the muddy water near the tap, saying hello to the mint, rosemary and basil bushes, trying to find some buzzy bees to say “Bzzz” to, pointing to the sky whenever a bird or a plane flies overhead, playing in the sandpit, and always, always throwing or kicking a ball.

11.30am – We retire inside and I start preparing Harrison’s lunch. In this case it’s leftovers from last night’s dinner – homemade chicken and veg soup – served with toast. Harrison takes about half an hour to eat it as he also needs to attempt to feed himself  – one spoon for Harrison to hold and stab the food with, while I actually feed him. It’s a slow process, compounded by his desire to read a book at the same time, and point to the picture of the cow saying “Mmm” (his version of “Moo”) constantly.

12noon – I have my lunch. Harrison insists on eating from my plate as well, even though he’s already had his own lunch.

12.30pm – Harrison retires to bed, it takes me about 5 minutes to get him to sleep in his cot rubbing his back, and now I have roughly 1hr 30 mins to myself. In this time I do the following:

  • Wash up
  • Sort out the washing
  • Generally tidy up the toys, books and food strewn around the house
  • Prep tonight’s dinner – chopping the veg and assembling all the ingredients ready to go as much as possible
  • Check my email
  • Make myself a cup of tea and start studying – I’m currently studying Counselling full-time online and it’s a struggle to find enough time so as soon as Harrison is down for his nap and I’ve done the house stuff, I’m into it!

sleep when your baby sleeps

2pm – Lord Harrison wakes up and we have afternoon tea. Today it’s a crumpet with honey and a few bites of banana. Then we’re off to the local park, taking a ball of course. We walk to the park and Harrison is off, kicking and throwing the ball while saying “Ball ball ball”, and occasionally climbing the stairs (very slowly, he is only 14 months old after all) and then going down the slippery dip with Mummy. He’s also busy charming everyone who walks by and pointing to the dogs.

3.30pm – We arrive back from the park, and Mummy needs a green tea to get through the afternoon with enough energy! Harrison needs nothing but water. We play inside, reading books and playing with shapes, blocks and toys.

5pm – Dinner commences. Harrison is having steamed carrot, sweet potato, zucchini and broccoli with fish fingers. He wolfs it all down just in time for Daddy to arrive home at about 5.25pm and take over the book reading and ball throwing.

5.30pm– I throw my gym clothes on, jump in the car and head to the gym for a workout and a good stretch on the foam roller. I do this about 2-3 times a week and it really helps my back, as well as being great for relieving the frustration that can sometimes come with trying to argue logically with an illogical midget who has minimal speech skills.

6.45pm – I come home and Rob is bathing Harrison. This is something he does each night that he’s home. It’s a great way for him to spend some extra time with Harrison and also gives me a chance to have a shower and start getting our dinner sorted. Tonight we’re having meatball pasta bake – a family favourite.

7-8pm – Rob puts Harrison to sleep after his bath and bottle and we eat dinner and watch a bit of TV recorded on Foxtel. Current favourites – Wayward Pines or Dating Naked (don’t knock it until you’ve seen it).

8pm – I start working in the dining room while Rob watches TV in the lounge room. I’m working as a social media coordinator for The Healthy VA, a brilliant company that helps people in the health and wellness industries manage their businesses. I currently manage the social media for 7 clients ranging in professions from naturopaths and personal trainers, to health coaches and organic cafes. It’s a brilliant job and works in so well with my life. I work 1-3hrs a day, 5-6 days a week.

9.30pm – I log off for the night, make myself a chamomile tea and try to relax and have no screen time before bed.

10.30pm – The long-awaited bedtime! I fall asleep hoping that Harrison won’t stir in the middle of the night so that we can all have a good night’s sleep.

PHEW, it’s made me exhausted just writing this down!

I have to say I couldn’t live the life I do without taking Iron, Omega 3, Magnesium and Zinc supplements and without regular exercise and sunshine. Cakes and coffee have their place too – I spend my weekends baking. I’m afraid the thing that has had to fall by the wayside in this new life of mine is any sort of social life. But I have discovered that while we’re taught that we can have it all, we really can’t. It’s impossible – at some point you have to compromise and sacrifice and for now, this has been what I’ve let go.


Stay Fit & Well,
Lisa x

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s